Thursday, June 28, 2007

Wendsday - Backpacking Trip Prep...

Always until the last minute with this stuff.... Raegan has been packed for weeks, each meal has been placed in alphabetical order and organized in a nutritional hierarchy. She is prepared for every contingency...

Me?

Oh I bought a really sharp knife and threw it in the pile with the rest of my gear... at least my brand new boots fit properly and are broken in.... nope... didn't do that either. I think I imagine unlikely scenarios where there is some need for an otherwise useless gadget. I have a compass that I have no idea how to use... I know the red arrow points to north but there are dials and other items that would only be useful if I had a proper topographical map. I don't think such things exist for this area. Bearspray, 50ft of static cord, entrenchment tool, edible plants guide, coffee press etc... So in the likely event we are attacked by a school of carnivorous trout I will be prepared to fend them off with my knife, pepper spray or a pot of well brewed coffee... however far fetched scenarios like hiking 30 km with a pack that is laden with useless gadgets just doesn't seem like something I need to be concerned with...

Also I'm eating like a self destructive man again lately.
  • Meal 1: 1 nutra-grain cereal bar
  • Meal 2: 1 turkey sandwich with cheddar cheese, lettuce and tomato. 1c raw mixed vegetables, 1 tbsp ranch dressing.
  • Meal 3: 12 cherries, 1/2 low fat muffin
  • Meal 4: (Way off the rails here...) 1 bowl clam chowder, 1/2 slice cheese bread, 5 alarm burger, 2 dozen steak fries, 2 tbsp peppercorn gravy, 1 captain ginger.

No comments: