Friday, February 5, 2010

P90X Day 26 - Intense Scrutiny

Long story short...

I have been attempting to secure life insurance for myself as part of being a responsible adult. Unfortunately I was informed on Wednesday (for the second time) that not only were they not able to offer me a non-medically rated premium but that I should see my family doctor immediately due to possible diabetes and critically abnormal liver function. Needless to say I was a little surprised to hear this as my last physical had come back pretty clean from an overall heath standpoint save for the fact that I need to get down to sub 200 lbs with 185 lbs being my ideal body weight.

Clearly I was a bit disturbed by all of this and I spent all of Thursday getting a full battery of tests run and saw my family doctor Friday AM. The ultimate result is that I have a almost entirely clean bill of health. My blood pressure is in the normal range, my cholesterol levels are actually better than average for someone my age, and all other tests are completely unremarkable except for my ALT which is related to liver function. The latest version of this test reported my liver function to be slightly elevated which I’m told is a direct result of being 235lbs and this has caused slight fat deposits to form in my liver. Based on the doctor’s assessment and my previous history, this ALT number and the fat deposits in my liver will drastically reduce as I get down to around 220lbs and be normal around 210lb or so. I am not at a risk for diabetes and overall my liver will be totally fine unless I were to gain a large amount of additional weight and/or take on a career as an alcoholic.

Basically the insurance company's letter and subsequent follow up was nothing more than alarmist bullshit.  What's worse, fearing some sort of unknown ailment I actually skipped both my Wednesday and Thursday workouts! Tonight I'm going to do P90X shoulders and arms, and then squeeze in Kempo X tomorrow AM before we leave for the weekend to see Raegan's parents. It would be nice to spend a weekend at home sometime in 2010!


No comments: